Heart Shaped Sushi
Instead of sugary treats, make heart-shaped sushi and start a Valentine's Day tradition your family will love!
For the Sushi Rice:
- Rinse rice in cold water until water runs clear, then drain completely.
- In a medium pan, add rinsed rice and water. Cover and bring to a simmer, then reduce and simmer on low for 18 - 23 minutes, or until rice is tender and water is absorbed.
- Transfer cooked rice to a large mixing bowl, sprinkle with sea salt and stir in 2 Tbsp rice vinegar, then let cool to room temperature, folding mixture occasionally.
For the Sushi:
- Prepare vegetables. Slice avocado and cut cucumber and red pepper into thin sticks.
- Assemble your heart-shaped sushi mold, according to the kit’s instructions. (We like this one)
- Place one seaweed sheet into the mold.
- Using a spoon or non-stick rice paddle, layer sushi rice on top of the seaweed, filling about ⅓ of the mold. Lightly press the rice into the seaweed.
- Place an additional thin layer of rice over the fillings.
- Fold one side of seaweed over the rice and then the other. Gently press down using the spoon or top of the mold.
- Cut with a sharp knife along the mold ridges.