Summer is in full swing! Maybe you’re lounging beachside, getting lost on a road trip or simply enjoying long days and warm nights. And as the seasons change, so do our bodies. Winter makes us crave hearty, carb-laden soups & stews, but summertime is all about eating fresh and light.
In fact, humans actually eat less when it’s hot, which means getting the nutrients we need can be a challenge. We want quick, clean meals and snacks that also provide enough fuel to get us through whatever daily adventures come our way.
Enter seaweed! As the most nutrient-dense food on the planet, these amazing greens pack a huge nutritional punch: calcium, iron, magnesium and vitamins A & C, plus bioactive compounds, like carotenoids (antioxidants with powerful anti-inflammatory capacities). Did we mention seaweed is also naturally low-sodium, low-sugar and gluten-free? And it won’t weigh you down: all that goodness is still only about 25 - 100 calories per serving.
We love how easy it is to add to our favorite dishes – extra greens with a bonus umami flavor boost, yes please! Here’s our top 10 fabulous ways to sprinkle seaweed into summertime fun.
- Seaweed Ranch Dip is great for hungry kids (and moms!) when the munchies hit. Keep a batch in the fridge to elevate the yum factor for quick veggie snacks.
- Seaweed Edamame Hummus is our fave traveling companion - works for picnics, beach days and spontaneous road trips.
- Fresh and easy, for lunch or dinner, California Rolls whip up in just minutes.
- Headed out in a hurry? Roll up a meatless Sushi Burrito: and wrap it in foil for an on-the-go meal.
- Feeling truly lazy? Absurdly-easy Sushi Plates delight in minutes. Grab your favorite flavor of Roasted Seaweed Snacks, then add your favorite ingredients: scoops of cold rice, sliced cucumber, avocado, smoked salmon or whatever you like. Finish with a sprinkle of sesame seeds and splash of soy sauce.
- Salads are a summer staple. Our gimMe Caesar Salad is equally divine on romaine and kale as it is on any green salad, rice or quinoa bowl veggie bowl.
- Enjoy a twist on poke with Taco Bites – make a couple for a snack, or a bunch for a meal.
- Craving the flavor of barbeque but no grill? Our BBQ Chicken Poppers are super satisfying, and tale less than 30 minutes to make.
- For Family Dinner Night, make a few Gluten Free Seaweed Pizza Crusts: set out sauce and toppings, and let the kids make their own custom pies (without all that grease).
- Don’t forget dessert – we never do! All you need is 5 minutes and a food processor to make our oh-so-good and good-for-you Seaweed Nice Cream.
May your day be sweet, sunny, and full of fresh healthy foods that inspire you to enjoy this season to the last drop!